Saturday 30 June 2018

Lab setup now heading South to Rockall Bank.

We are aboard the RRS Neil Armstrong... The ship is only 2 years old!! So everything's pretty shiny.


There's a definite space theme to the ship which is awesome! 

Imagine having an axe with your name on it haha...this is actually a.safety axe to knock through a window or door in a fire was preventing you from getting out of somewhere.

The ship is owned by Woodshole Oceanographic Institution in America..world famous for their oceanography! I applied for an internship for them
a few years ago but got rejected so it's awesome to be finally working with them!
Rich styling the new type of cow boy hat which is infact a safety regulated hard hat! Haha



Very important information... I you're late no food!
This is where we are off tomorrow after we have refuelled! Down South to Rockall Bank near Scotland then West then back north to Reykjavik.
Enroute at stations we will be picking up and deploying lots of oceanography Oceanographic moorings... I will talk about this in a later blog post if I have goos Internet!
And ACDPs!

This made me chuckle... Apparently Sarah sounds more professional.
And this is the lab that me Jeanne a French student and rich from sams have been setting up for the past few days. No idea how I'm going to.repack those boxes... I'm terrible at packing.
Oxygen titration deserves it's own blog post so wait and see. In summary we're collecting dissolved oxygen at different depths at each station to.calibrate oxygen sensors that are on the Oceanographic moorings! Full on chemistry.
We will also be collecting water samples for nutrients, isotopes, dissolved carbon and microplastics!!! Stay tuned.
 This is part of the gym... I like what they've done with the space using different bands and trx training. I need to find a space where I can do insanity!