Saturday 26 December 2015

A real white Christmas





The wildlife is amazing here, on Christmas eve Michelle, John, Ben and I went on the Skua survey. Ben was holding a flag to mark our territory against the skewers as we needed to measure eggs within their nest, as very territorial birds it can be quite a challenge to get close. John was logging our position on a GPS, while I was using binoculars to get the tag information.



Living on an airfield is a dream since I was younger, so moving away from Usk Gliding club which is only a few fields away from my house in Wales, to then living at Lasham this summer as a tug pilot and now I'm here at Rothera watching a Dash-7 and twin otters taking off everyday is amazing!!




I also feel spoilt with the chance to dive here, the wildlife is so diverse. It's also mind boggling that I would much rather be in the ice covered water than above it, as the air is so much colder!



This is me collecting sediment samples for a microplastic project that I am studying.

Anna and I during our snowboarding sesh,.
The evening after our Christmas party we were all shattered so I had organised, with the help of a few others to have a movie night in Fuchs (the Field Guides building) with a projector, sheepskin and baileys hotchocolate! We all loved it so much that we're going to do it again tonight!



A photo of some Adelie penguins because they're so cute. 


All of the Bonner Lab staff had a call from Samways and Adam the boaties to say that there were Orca in the bay...we all ran down but missed them! Once we see Orca we cannot dive for 4 hours and then 30 minutes prior to a dive one person needs to conduct an lepoard seal and orca watch before the divers are allowed in the water.


My first Christmas away from home! It's very surreal, I've been busy working and filling my time with fun activities like snowboarding so that I don't miss it too much.

My family did keep a place for me at the dinner table though - cute! I've spoken to them alot over the past few days!


This is what keeps me distracted....the views here are just incredible.



MERRY CHRISTMAS