Wednesday 20 January 2016

Time to reflect.

Time to reflect....


Saturday nights are usually a formal dinner, this weekend there was a theme. The theme was 50's Americana! I obviously went so Grease, but unfortunately left my Pink Ladies jacket in Wales!! IT was a great night-  we even had a dance off between the men and woman to ''you're the one that I want.''





On the weekend I had the opportunity to go mountaineering up Stork ridge, I was glad that I had a lie in because it was an epic hike, that was worth it for the view of Sheldon glacier. Looking back at the photos I didn't realise at the time how dramatic the situation was. We were all attached to each other by a line, then we were walking along the peak of the mountain to the summit where either side of us was a very steep drop off. Having a field guide around means we can always do fun things like this!
Looking out over the Sheldon Glacier.


 The week started off with water sampling, so lots of lab work. In-between that we have fitted in lots of dives, even to some epic places further afield from Rothera...here is me coming back from a rather chilly dive!


The plankton bloom is fully in swing now, the water is green - it's like diving in pea soup. It's still epic.

So green!




YAY -  for the first time in two months I've rigged a glider, however, it is not my usual type of glider. This is a seaglider that records oceanographic data. We deploy it manually, whilst Alex is in the office and logging the glider, for instance telling it when to dive and what coordinates to go to. To receive the data, the glider resurfaces (usually every 6 hours) and transmits the data to satellites which we then download, the glider then dives back down to collect more data around Ryder Bay. 


A mushroom iceberg.

IT was Sam's birthday today, fittingly on Penguin awareness day....



HAPPY PENGUIN AWARENESS DAY <3
There's always time to reflect - especially after a long day at work.