Saturday 10 October 2020

We have set sail for DY120.

We have finally set sail. After a much longer time in port than expected due to one crews could test being delayed and then an engine failure we finally set sail almost a week later than planned. However, when I say a week the cruise is already 3 months behind because of COVID so 1 week does not seem so bad.

"What even is mobilisation of a research ship?" I explain in the second blog of cruise #DY120 on #RRSDiscovery to turnaround CLASS and @uk_osnap moorings https://t.co/GH8rQ5VVIY https://t.co/OLPFTcS7IQ

Last week after we had set up the instruments,sensors and processing files ready for the mooring recovery and deployments we set to work on some personal development. It was great to have time to do this and it's been rather a full on week of learning for me. Readjusting to life after the first lock down is tough going after only had Al to interact with for 5 months and being furloughed, being on a ship with 22 people is a bit of a shock to the system. But a good one.

So over the week in port we all kept ourselves busy.
Checking moorings and sensors were setup and ready. I had a good tutorial of this and learnt alot! Now till wait till Sunday when we do the recovery.
Lots of microcats and adcps!We are addicted to monopoly deal...and now a French ship game Estelle has brought with her, texas hold em and exploding kittens!!
I've been working on my python, GitHub and processing skills through Matlab!
Constantly learning and being tested by Lewis (who is an exyachtmaster instructor and lifeboat Cox but still holds his commercial tickets)!! It's good, mixes up the day well.
Remebering to take time out! Great book.
And keeping on top of the exercise as the food is incredible. Raeanne has also challenged me to 100 days of exercise to take us up to Christmas, it's going well so far.I learnt to set up, download and process microcat data!

And in the middle of everything went and saved a RIB...a ships ops manager who snoops...oops!
Sam setting up all of the Matlab scripts ready for processing.
All here, ready to sail.
I posted this tweet, then we were stood down for 24 hrs oops!
Then we left and the science began!
Our first CTD, for my best mate Katherine Morgan asked me what a CTD is ( I've been using one for the past 7 years haha), anyway that's ok. A CTD stands for conductivity, temperature depth and all of the instruments and sensors are placed on a rosette as seen above. Then sensors are strapped around the roseete to measure things like oxygen, pH and many more things! The niskins as seen below the grey tubes are where we collect water from various depths and where I take water samples so that we can calibrate the instruments and look for any drift in the data.

Driving the winch and checking all is ok.
Ready to sample!

Who doesn't wear knee pads to sample? Most people. But I really want to save my knees. Highly recommend.
Salts training! An easily messed up sample.If there's no clipboard involved is it really even science?!
Oosh so I am very glad I taught myself Matlab over lock down because during this cruise I have been put in charge of the underway data processing. Kristine is currently training me up on this, watch this space to see how I get on...
Waving at my friend Peach(Emily) and her mum Sue who are in a hot tub on holiday in Cornwall. They even took a photo of us though their binos, love it. I'm also super happy and excited to be back at sea (especially after all my medical issues).outline through the binos!
After sampling and the O2 bottles came up to room temp I analysed some samples!
We also did a muster which has to be done with 24 hrs of leaving our port which is a legal requirement!
Keeping up with my 100days of exercise. I borrowed Raeannes Turbo trainer. It's great. A cold fresh breeze, big personal gym and a guy shouting at my from a predownloaded youtube video to go faster haha

Followthis on my twitter:The race is on! The #RRSDiscovery aka #Disco has left Southampton racing along at ~500 cm/sec chasing the @samsglider Bowmore (travelling 20 cm/s) toward our first #mooring station #EB1. Who's going to make it first? @SAMSoceannews @NOCnews @uk_osnap @CLASS_UKRI Update at 11 UTC https://t.co/aROjMxe9Sr

https://twitter.com/SazReed?s=09
I am very happy to be at sea, with a great bunch of people learning lots and enjoying the fresh sea air and epic sunsets 😊