Wednesday 10 May 2017

Break in Uruguay!

I have been in Uruguay Port Monte Video for 2 and a half weeks on the Shack. We have been here reconnecting with the Uruguayan government so that w

e can start to use their port more often, so we've had lots of talks with the government and I have been talking and giving talks to lots of various scientists which has been very interesting!


I have used the 2 weeks to sort out the aquarium, ensuring everything is ready for crossing the tropics. I've been manically freezing cubes of seawater which I will use to cool down the water in each tank. In-between doing water changes and cleaning the aquarium I have taken a bit of time to reintegrate and regenerate. 

Ive cycled and run up and down this alot !

Kate's photo of the last 4 winteres...first thing we went was to the meat market !







Me, Muff and Rob spent alot of time exploring, we went to Punta del Este on a bus!! Thanks for helping me to reintegrate guys!



WE found the famous hand -Rob's!

It was great to visit Uruguay properly and have a bit of a relax with some freedom!

Oh and we went swimming, the waves were pretty fun-Rob's


Rob's photos thanks dude
And had a few well deserved drinks - Rob's!


I met a lovely family that I cheekily asked if we could go sailing with...I offered them a bottle of wine and they said yes hehe! Juan Pablo de Leon and Murielle Gras took me, William Whatley the captain of the Shackleton and cadet Jamie for a days sailing to a private Navy island 3 hours outside Uruguay, still in the estuary (most people are not allowed here - we were so lucky to get this opportunity).

 It turned out to be an incredible day out! 






It all started with Champagne at 10 am!


Add caption
 An amazing barbecue...such good meat in Uruguay!!




Isla de Flors
Some amazing history with this these 3 connecting islands. It was an island for the immigrants...not that many years ago. The first island is the old prison, the second island is where people were banished to if they got ill and the third island was where everyone was buried when they died.

On the Rio De Plata...a river that gets it's name as it glistens with silver specs..

The water is warmer than Rothera but definitely not as clean!
 


A week later they all came and visited the aquarium and the RRS Shackelton!!


Thank you all for an incredible insight to Uruguay... Juan, Murielle, Sabine, Diego, Filomena, Alejandro, Pino, Marianella and Emiliano and the rest of your family and friends!!


I caught another long bus ride to Colonia del Sacramento opposite Buenos Aries! 


This trusty stead got me around...only got lost a few times..












A few of us also visited a vine yard. I love wine. 

 I love the name of the company, very fitting!


 Now only a 3 weeks sail up the Atlantic, crossing the line ceremony and a quick dip on the equator!!!


 Almost home yippeeeee.