Wednesday 17 May 2017

Sailing North.


So my time in Monte Video was great, except I did forget to mention that I got a sickness bug, mild food poisoning and I spent a lot of money! So when we left Monte it was great to get back to the sea...except for the first 2 days there was a storm which made me seasick, now I am fully used to the RRS Shackelton's corkscrewing motion!

 The first day back to sea we left the RRS James Clark Ross (JCR) in Monte Video, the JCR was moored alongside us as BAS were interviewing for the new ship whilst most of the crews were changing over in Monte, the JCR is the second ship that BAS use for polar research.


 The first thing we did when we left port was to do a lifeboat drill, I was allowed to assist with this. This was very valuable training, as to see how a lifeboat operates was not only interesting but can save lives...one recommendation the sea survival training does not tell you that I would recommend is to take some ear plugs!!
 Our driver Ben!


You always have to be ready to muster with a hard hat, overalls and safety boots. We have had a few drills whilst heading North, our most recent drill was a fire and casualty scenario fully acted out until the smoke was dealt with and the casualty on life support. As a first aider trained by BASMU, I muster in the surgery and then when we know where the emergency is we are sent there to respond carrying the stretcher, first aid kit, DEFIB and oxygen. Living and working on a ship is entirely dependant on the crew so it's great to be involved in these scenarios and to be helpful and trained in the case of an emergency.
 
Since leaving Rothera on the ship I have been completing a debris study everyday for 1 hour from the bridge. I use binoculars to look for any macro debris that is floating, I also note if it is associated with marine life. During this hour it ensures that I get fresh air (very easy to get stuck working in the aquarium or writing up work on the computer), it also means that I get to turn my skin from Antarctic white to hopefully Brazilian brown as we are currently sailing off the coast of Brazil. Best bit is I get to check out this beautiful view.


The aquarium has been very difficult lately. It has been stable for the rest of the trip until now. I'm currently struggling with high temperatures in the hold where the aquarium reefer is so I've been putting ice cubes of frozen seawater into all the tanks to keep the temperature <2 degrees. Also, low nutrients from the long stint in Monte, so I'm attempting to do water changes every 2 days which is hard when you've got to cool the water from 28 to -1.5 degrees!
This is the ships system that I use to complete water changes








 The anemones are looking good though!


 Water tight doors...love hate situation. Keep you and the ship safe but every time I go into the aquarium hold I need to open and close this door..it takes a while!!



Lots of ice cubes


I spend a lot of time in this container...
Ship life is good ... tonight we had our first BBQ on the poop deck, tomorrow after work we are going to sunbathe in the pool!!!!