Sunday 9 December 2018

Getting settled back into working at Rothera

 I had an amazing Welcoming on base and it's great to be back. 1/3rd of my 2016 winter team are here so I instantly felt at home. I also met alot of people as they passed through the UK last year so it is perfect to just slip straight back into work life.


It was not long until I was fully trained up refreshed and shown what had changed on base. We are now a fully operational dive and boating team again. The weather has finally calmed down after what sounded like an awful last few weeks.

I arrived on base on the 28th of November and I am already shattered.


Firstly, I had lots of paperwork to catch up on, risk assessments and new SOPS to get updated on. I then wrote the October Monthport to get back up to speed with the help of the marine team, especially Aurellia (who hates me saying this) but has done a fantastic job of handing over to me and so have Marlon and Zoe over email!

Love my Massetron, happy to be back on base with her. This week we have been speaking to lot of different schools and answering questions about Antarcica for World Antarctic Day.
 Brash ice the other day meaning we had to change our dive plan. It was so consolidated that it pushed the boat back.

 Icebergs are one of my favourite things on this planet and one of the main reasons i am down here this year...but more about that on my next blog post.
 Refuelling the baots
 Sooo happy to be at Rothera, sad my adventurebuddy isn't with me this time.
Will never ever miss this view.

More about the science in the next one :)