Sunday 29 November 2015

I've made it to the bottom of the world!

First mission was to make a snow angel....and no I actually did not fall over doing this!
 


As I write this blog I am sat in my new off-ice (office) that over looks the runway and sea oh and mountains... however, at the moment all I can see is snow, as the snow is built up and covers the window!









                                       

                                                                   ANTARCTICA!!!!!!

My view out of my bedroom window over looking the runway and mountains!

I absolutely love this place so far! Everyone has made me feel very welcome and the job is so exciting!

This is my new desk that Sam, the now old (hehe) Marine Assistant decorated for me!
I am basically living on an airfield in Antarctica surrounded by seals and penguins. There is also so much to do on and around base like bouldering, skiing, walking...literally anything you want! There's even a music room.

 



The past few days have been training and getting used to the base, so we've had tours, aircraft orientation, learning how to use tilly lamps, put up specific tents, how to be a co-pilot!

Allan Meredith, the chief pilot then kindly took me around the twin otters & dash-7! I was so excited, they are amazing pieces of kit, especially a new display in one of the survey otters! Can't wait to get out and do a co-pilot trip!

Last night we had a black & white party that Terri had organised! It was so fun :D

A Zebra in Antarctica!

On our lazy Sunday off work we spent the morning chilling, then Ben tested his ROV!!!! It works and is almost ready to have a dip in the sea.

Ben & I testing his ROV called DEBRA!



So next week we're going camping, going out in the boats ..as Sam is starting to hand over to me so I'm going to learn the sampling methods for the RaTs data and then go diving eeek.

  
 
 
 


p.s. I'm saving my Penguin photos until my next blog ;)