Monday 23 November 2015

Journey to the last city at the bottom of the world.



Transit from UK - Punta Arenas!

After having a great evening with Emily Mulligan & her parents, my Mum and Dad took me to the airport, we had lunch and then met the rest of the team. Ben & I had to drop off our bags to the large luggage section because apparently mine was ''too long!!!'' haha....to be fair we are both carrying a lot of scientific equipment, especially Ben with heavy metal ready to start ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) when we arrive; I ended up saying goodbye to my parents 5+ times!
Tony and I totes comfy on the flight.

John, Me & Ben

This weekend has felt extremely long. We have been through so many airport securities, baggage areas and different planes in the space of a short 40 hours that is has felt surreal.

Torres del Paine

WE embraced Madrid with Rioja and paella. After a very long flight with lots of new movies, attempting to sleep and moving around to prevent a DVT we arrived in Santiago in Madrid where we had Pizza and a traditional Pisco Sours. After loosing Ben (who tried to exit the airport instead of going to the connection gate), it has become a common question to ask ''where's Ben? What's Ben doing?''

 After one final flight of the day to Punta Arenas in Chile we arrived at a fancy hotel where we had a flight safety briefing ready for our flight on the Dash - 7, we then all had a well deserved meal at the hotel; in-between this I had managed to sneak out to the square where there were Chilean stalls and haggle myself a thumb ring ( I keep loosing them)!



After a well needed sleep and awoke ready to find out if we were going to fly to Rothera on our set date of the 23rd of November, alas the weather was not our friend so we were granted a working day within Punta Arenas.

This photo of Ben & Kate makes me so happy

We spent the day walking around the town, the view from the furthest southern city in the world is incredible, with the sea surrounded by snow peaked mountains and incredible cloud formations.


There are so many street dogs here, for our walk we made a friend called MAx, he was beautiful. After walking around we then went shopping and ate some churros! I <3 churros

That afternoon we moved the most beautiful hotel, each room incredibly decorated with specific Chilean professions.

After Antarctica I plan to come back to Punta and buy this bed - most incredible thing.
We ate at our new hotel last night as we knew it would be traditional Patagonian style - it didn't disappoint! Kate & I then went a bit crazy and we shaved the sides of her hair off so now she has a Mohawk - I love it! I even shaved it evenly! We then celebrated her shaven head and the fact that we may be flying tomorrow, by going to the Shackleton Bar where we had what one must have in Chile, Pisco Sours. Shackleton had visited Punta Areanas seeking help.
John, Kate, Alex, Ben, Michelle & Me (I bought that headband yesterday and I've already lost it ;(

As you can see I am a firm believer in embracing each countries culture, which is usually by sampling the traditional food and wine haha.

So as I write this blog I am packing my bag as at 0830am we find out if we're definitely going to fly to Rothera - from what John our met man has been saying I think will as the weather system that was hindering our departure has moved away leaving us with weaker winds.

I'M FEELING VERY RESFEBER (EXCITED/SCARED AT THE SAME TIME)!!!!!!!